Saturday, January 28, 2012

Bhindi ki Sabzi – (Indian Style Okra)


So as some of you may know, the Kuber Report is about many different things that I think about and do. Recently, I have started cooking a lot. So I thought I should share some of my cooking experiments. While I do not want to make this a cooking blog, I do have some favorites that I would like to post.

This is my first time writing a recipe so please bear with me. I decided to share a very simple Indian dish that I make often. Bhindi ki Sabzi is one that is popular all over India. And I’m sure everyone has their own version of how their moms make it or how they make it; and here is mine (learnt from my mom, of course):

Ingredients:

2 pounds okra

Sesame seeds

Cumin powder

Coriander powder

Turmeric (Haldi)

Asafoetida powder (Heeng)*

Red Chili powder

Mustard Seeds

Oil

Salt

*If you don’t have this or any other spice, you can skip it.

First, wash and dry the okra (make sure it is dry completely as this will reduce the sliminess of it as it cooks). Cut and discard both ends and chop into thin slices (about a quarter inch thick).

In a wide pan, heat about six tablespoons of oil on medium heat and add the half a teaspoon of mustard seeds. When the seeds will start to make a popping sound, add a quarter teaspoon each of asafoetida powder, turmeric and red chili powder.

(You can use more or less red chili powder depending on how spicy you like it. My version is about a mild level of heat)

When all the spices have mixed in with the oil, add the okra and stir, making sure all of it is covered in the oil and spices. After about two minutes, the okra will have changed color slightly. Then add one teaspoon each of coriander and cumin powders. Add two tablespoons of sesame seeds. Add half a teaspoon of salt.

(You can add more salt if necessary after it is cooked)

Stir to mix all the spices. Leave uncovered on medium heat, stirring occasionally. The okra will start to turn slimy. But as it cooks, the sliminess will decrease. The okra at the bottom of the pan will start to brown. Stir to make sure all the okra has browned. This should take around 10 minutes.

After it is done, serve hot with roti, naan or bread. Enjoy!

Next up: Mushroom Masala and Tomato cha Saar (Tomato and Coconut Soup)

No comments: