Thursday, May 15, 2008

Week 1 in Pune, India

So its been five days since I've landed in Pune. I've been hanging out at my grandmothers for a week. I've been going to see different relatives on my dads side of the family every single day.My moms relatives all mostly stay where I am so I'm being constantly bombarded by one of them or another.
For those of you with families in other countries (I say this because its not as frequent in America), privacy is different here. Its hard to find any time for yourself. I will be typing an email and my cousin will come and say: What are you doing? and start reading. Its hard to get used to if you aren't from such a culture, but so far I've been able to change my behavior everytime I come here.

I found that India has changed quite a bit since four years ago. Even the "Old City" where I live, there are internet cafes and video game parlors. Everyone has a cell phone. Overall, there are people who have become modernized. So I've noticed a great contrast between people here.

Something I don't remember from the last trip is the staring. Everywhere I go people stare. I'm not just talking about guys on the street, but young old male female. And all this while I wore Indian clothes. I have yet to figure out why this is...

Heres a picture from my window. Regardless of the crowds, pollution... and the staring, I have to say its absolutely beautiful!!

5 comments:

H.a.T. said...

pretty dang good view! so how much do u think a ticket is from London to India? haha

Anonymous said...

professor barnett said indian people know that you are American. It is in the way we walk, look people in the eye. There is something that is different, they can tell.

I get the staring problem too. It's awkward.

Anonymous said...

I agree, that view is amazing. Glad to see that you have made it safely to Pune, and best wishes for your impending trip up north!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is pretty. And regardless of how Indian you look, like Sruti said, something gives you away. And after being here for more than a decade, you've lost a fair bit of the Indian accent. So that's my two cents. Hope you're enjoying your stay so far.

mayhemcarnival said...

I got that too back in D-town, Bangladesh. I think it's just a matter of others sensing that I'm "new" or "different". It's kindof like how we can always work out who the freshmen are in college, or the interns at work - by their body language, the way they appear to be "learning" about their environment, etc etc...and as much as I'd try to pretend to blend in or think that I'm doing it well, I'm sure I'm giving away enough clues for them to think that I'm "foreign".

-Gazi