Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Sounds and Smells of India

I know what some of you may be thinking. How can a post labelled the smells of India be something pleasant to read? Well, let me clarify. These are sounds and smells that are distinctly Indian. It is how I identify where I am. They can be pleasant, unpleasant or completely neutral. I'm sure you may know what I am talking about. Its like when you are not quite awake but lying in bed, and you can't see what is nearby, but the smells and sounds that drift by paint a picture of what time it is, where you are, and what other people in the house are doing.
For example, if I hear the milkman dropping off the milk, I know its still early. If I hear the trashman banging on his bin, then its a little later. The smells of the morning at my grandmothers are incense being burnt and a faint smell of trash burning nearby, and a small shrill bell ringing would mean my grandfather is doing puja. With mid-morning comes smells of food being cooked and pressure cookers letting off steam in nearby houses.
Even walking near my grandmothers house, I know what is nearby - a temple (bells ringing, incense), school (different kind of bell ringing, incessant chatter of children), restaurants (fried food - yummmmmm), cows (do I have to explain the smell?), and so on. Even new clothes bought in India have a distinct smell. The night ends with hearing fire works, set off for reasons unknown.
Now I always knew I was a smell oriented person but I didn't know to what extent. Its a curse and a blessing at the same time, obviously depending on the smell. Since I have no pictures to post yet, I decided it would be better to try to give you a glimpse of India through some of our other senses.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean!! Every now and then I'll smell something and be like "ah, smells like India"
Hope you are enjoying yourself!!

raashi said...

well done, che kuber. ernesto would be proud... and perhaps rushdie as well. i wish i could say i knew what you meant ... unfortunately, i think i have a smelling (olfactory, if you will) disability. :( *sigh*

Saumil said...

I read The Kuber Report more often than I read my own notes for class...Miss ya :)

shrooty said...

i know what you mean too! there are certain smells that i associate with India - talcum powder, jasmine flowers, and certain spices. :)

Anonymous said...

A very peasant article. You have started great on your posts.

Amrutkaka

Unknown said...

my favorite is when your flight lands in india, and as soon as the door opens, you get smacked in the face (usually in a good way) with the distinct smell of india. or when you open a suitcase for the first time after travelling from abroad, and voila! india/america in a bag! :-)

Baba said...

We will probably talk more frequently than I get around to reading your blogs, but keep them coming (and pictures too)

raashi said...

neha ... now many times do i need to re-read the "sounds and smells of india"? when do we get our next installment?

Domitia Enobaria said...

I know what you mean! There are a bunch of perfumes and other nice smells that "smell like India" (they usually smell like chameli or mogra, y'know, white flowers?). And essential oils too, and new clothes definitely have a pleasant smell.
Examples: Robert Piguet - Fracas
Tocca - Cleopatra
Hermes - Jardin apres la mousson, smelled kinda like kulfi
Kenzo - Holi (obviously)
The Body Shop products in Moringa (actually is an Indian flower, heh)

Keep the blog posts coming, I miss you.